GFCFSF School Supplies
A child on the gluten-free/casein-free/soy-free (GFCFSF) diet can’t be 100% on the diet if their school supplies have forbidden ingredients. Parents need to be diligent and work with school staff to absolutely make sure every aspect of their children’s school environments are completely GFCFSF, right down to the supplies/toys used daily, to ensure parents hard efforts are not accidentally undone by even the smallest contact with forbidden ingredients.
August 2011 Gluten Free and Allergy Free Art Supply List from Adventures of a GF Mom
When your child starts a new preschool or class, it is a great idea to buy a large plastic container, label it with your kid’s name, and fill it with the GFCFSF supplies such as the examples listed below. Make a list of all the items in the bin in case any need to be later replaced. Include a copy of the list so teachers can check off an item when they run out of something and return the list to you. Do not forget to include therapy supplies for the OT, PT and/or Speech therapists!
**It is important to continually re-check with the manufacturer since ingredients and labels can (and do) change without notice.
- Paints–six colors (Crayola, Palmer, or Lakeshore brands)
- Crayola Washable Markers (large and small sizes)
- Crayola First Crayons or regular crayons (two pkg.)
- Crayola Model Magic in several colors (Do not use Play Doh or Crayola Dough; both of these are not GFCF! Or any other substitutes unless they’re sent from home! Note: Model Magic dries out after several uses—so include baggies for storage)
- Soy-FREE Soy-Yer Dough
- Make your own GFCFSF “Playdough”
- Crayola brand chalk in white and other colors
- Elmer’s or Ross brand liquid glue (old-fashioned paste contains wheat)
- Elmer’s or Ross brand glue sticks
- Scotch brand clear tape
- Food Craft supplies – remember, your child cannot use regular pasta for crafts or in a sensory bin: Tinkyada pastas, rice, black-eyed peas, lentils or colored rice.
Treats for speech activities, unexpected parties (limit as these can cause yeast and hyperactivity):
Other supplies (ask your teacher if these are needed):
- Unpowdered plastic gloves or Liquid Glove (if needed for other activities like soap play, cooking, etc.)
- Colored page reinforcers or pony beads
- Burt’s Bees Natural Skin Shaving Cream for men or you can find more at EWG’s Skin Deep Database (for Occupational Therapy (OT) activities); do not use Nickelodeon Floam, Goop, etc.
- Silly Putty by Crayola is GFCF (for OT activities)
- These non-toxic paints, Natural Earth, Glob Paint , Elegant Minerals or Go Green Face Paint can be used for makeup for dress-up activities/plays
- For soap and lotions, The Honest Company, Mrs Meyers, and Whole Foods’ 365 brand carry many nontoxic GFCF products
- Toothettes and lemon-flavored cottonball sticks used by speech therapists are GFCF
Note: Most Pre-K curriculum involves a cooking component. Work with your teacher on this. If a cooking project is coming up, offer to supply the class with GFCF ingredients–it will be much appreciated. Keep a few GFCF cupcake mixes on hand for class parties and special occasions–make and freeze cupcakes so that your child is not left out.You may be able to adapt our Cooking Class booklet to your needs.
Tip: For less than $10 you can get a huge supply of piñata-type cheapie toys that can be handed out for holidays, parties, etc. instead of candy. You can find them at Orientaltrading.com or any dollar store.
Palmer Paint products
- Prism Brand Acrylic Glow in the Dark
- Prism Regular Acrylics
- Prism Model Paints
- Prism Pearls
- Palmer Nature’ Hues
- Palmer Liquid Tempera (contains corn starch)
- Palmer Washable Liquid Tempura
- Palmer Face Paint
- Palmer Glitter Paint
- Palmer Dry Tempura (contains corn starch)
Crayola Gluten Statement
- Washable Markers
- Model Magic
- Silly Putty
- Jumping Colors
- Mess free Color Wonder
- 3 D Markers
- Oil Pastels
- Powder Paint
- Water Soluble Oil Pastels
Note: NO Crayola dough, it contains gluten!
Elmer’s Gluten Statement
Ross Glue Products
- Ross White Glue
- Ross Glue Sticks
- Ross School Glue
Autism Journey Blueprints
Parent Mentor Program
Find a TACA Chapter near you
Email or Phone